Tuesday 16 November 2010

Birds of a Feather

Bird Cage
This is the work of Abigail Brown. These birds are part of a collection of 5 species of birds. They are hand and machine embroidered then stuffed to create the shape. They are based on drawings and sketches but when it comes to creating each of them, Brown doesn't work directly from the images.

"My work with birds evolved because they are beautiful: so fragile and yet so animated... Merrily they chirp in the dawn, delighting me with their happy tunes."

I think that it would be hard to say that Brown doesn't have a huge passion for what she is doing; without that passion these birds would not be the same, or hold the same beauty. What I like about these is how she's used recycled materials to make them. Nothing is specifically bought for them. They almost appear for nothing.

With the work that I am currently experimenting with, I have been using images of birds and sketches that I have previously created to paint representations onto fabrics. Using a similar idea to Brown’s, I have chosen to use fabrics that I already have rather than to go out and buy some specifically. This is something that I tend to like to use within my work as I feel it changes the finish to the piece. It makes it look less controlled and more natural.

No comments:

Post a Comment